Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lent Day 2

19 February 2015: Being Poor
Well, I woke up a little late this morning, which ended up being a bit of a blessing. I missed my early alarm; I was supposed to get up early and go to breakfast, study, and read my devotional book, but I ended up sleeping in and having just the right amount of time to get to work. Today I haven't worn any makeup... somehow, the dark circles under my eyes haven't bothered me too much. I am currently listening to some good ol' Misty Edwards. Her song Ezekiel 1 inspired me to read that chapter of the Bible. It is very similar to parts of Revelation in describing Christ's throne in heaven. I also read Proverbs 19, and came across some interesting things. Reading Proverbs by chapter can be difficult, because each one usually covers a wide variety of things. Nevertheless, I think I found a trend at the beginning. The first verse states: "Better a poor man whose walk is blameless than a fool whose lips are perverse." The next few verses mention different disadvantages of being "poor", making the point that even though your life may be unfortunate as a poor person, it is still better to be living blamelessly in that "poverty" than to be a fool. In real life, that's pretty hard to accept. Yet, it reminds me a bit of some stuff I've been reading in Plato's Republic: in that book, they discuss how the "just man" usually lives a miserable and uncomfortable life, like a dog out in the cold at night. It is the unjust man that lives comfortably. I think the same idea is here in Proverbs 19: if you are really living as you should be, you'll endure many sufferings.
On another note, I feel bad for a dear friend of mine who is going to a funeral this weekend for her old high school coach. The woes in this life are constantly reminding me that we must be dependent on the LORD for our peace and joy, because the world surely won't give such things to us.
Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment